ES Components offers a wide variety of thermistors!
Samples Available Now from ES Components!
Thermistor Material Types
Ceramic thermistors have an exponential temperature coefficient curve. This attribute makes them well suited for applications where a large change in resistance is desired for small change in temperature. They are available in positive or negative temperature coefficient versions.
Thin-Film Thermistors, also known as RTDs (Resistance Temperature Detectors)
Thin-Film thermistors have a linear temperature coefficient curve and are only available with positive temperature coefficients.
Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) versus Negative Temperature Coefficient (NTC) Thermistors
PTC – Positive Temperature Coefficient Thermistors
Thin Film Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC)/Resistance Temperature Detectors (RTDs) are typically used for temperature measurement and compensation.
The electrical resistance of PTC (positive temperature coefficient) ceramic thermistors increases exponentially at the so called switching temperature or Ts. This typical characteristic makes PTC thermistors very useful components for several application areas such as voltage and current overload protection, over-temperature protection, inrush current generation, time delay, energy discharge, and as a ceramic self-limiting heating element. As an overload protective element, PTC thermistors are used in a wide range of circuits, including line cards, set-top boxes, and private automated branch exchanges in telecom applications; airbag and temperature control devices in automobiles; power supplies, transformers, DC motors and small domestic appliances; and in other consumer products.
NTC – Negative Temperature Coefficient Thermistors.
The electrical resistance of NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistors increases as the ambient temperature decreases, and decreases when temperature increases. NTC thermistors are used for over temperature protection in PCs, power supplies, and motherboards; Li-ion battery protection in fast chargers; and in digital scan cameras, fire and smoke detectors, TCXOs, and other automotive, consumer, and industrial applications. They are generally included in voltage dividers or Wheatstone bridges and can provide a measuring voltage to analog-digital converters. They also allow for the control of temperature compensation of displays and regulation of temperature with op-amps or more complex ICs.
1. Leadless NTC Thermistor Die Suitable for Wire Bonding. Available with either both gold (Au) or silver (Ag) bonding pads.
- Flat chip contacted top and bottom (gold: NTCC300E4 series or silver: NTCC200E4 series)
- Wide temperature range from -55 °C to +175 °C
- Highly resistant to thermal shocks
- Ideal for wire bonding (aluminum or gold depending on metallization type)
- Resistance to leaching
Wire-bondable Resistor Data Sheet
Vishay Non-Linear Resistor Demonstration
2. SMD NTC Thermistors with Enhanced Stability for Medical Applications
- Enhanced stability throughout component lifetime (maximum variation of initial R25 °C of ± 0.5 %after 10 000 hours at any temperature)
- High R25 values (> = 100 kΩ) reduce self-heating effects
- Ideal for wave and reflow soldering
- One R25 °C-value per case in 0402, 0603, and 0805
- Temperature sensing circuits and compensation for:
- Heat counters and other smart meters
- Body thermometers
- Other medical applications such as pacemakers and other implantable devices
3. Custom NTC Thermistors with LUG Rings
Features and Capabilities
• For different screw sizes, M2 to M8
• For different screw sizes, STUD#1 to #5/16
• Cables cross sections AWG#24 down to AWG#32
• Different cable lengths available
• Various RT tables (electrical curves)
• Standard connectors available
• AEC-Q200 qualified available
• UL certifications available
• Minimum breakdown voltages 500 VAC up to 3000 VAC
• Insulated cables or non insulated wires
• Copper or nickel conductors, tin or silver plated
• Specific designs for high temperature operation for example 150 °C long term
• Designs for minimum breakdown voltage and insulation resistance
• 5 kV impulse voltage available (IEC 61800-5-1)
Thermistor Selection Guide
Application Notes and Tools Information
Vishay PTC and NTC Applications Guide
Vishay Surface Mount NTC Thermistors with Enhanced Stability
Vishay Thermistors Products Overview
Spice Models - New PSpice Models for Vishay NTC Thermistors and RTDs
PSpice models are now available for several series of Vishay temperature sensors, including our through-hole and SMD NTC thermistors (NTCS, NTCLE100, NTCLE203 …) and their SMD PTC RTDs, the platinum PTS and thin film TFPT components.
Applications support: MY VISHAY NTC CURVE
"My Vishay NTC Curve" provides a resistance-temperature table for every NTC thermistor available from Vishay. This free tool can be downloaded to any PC, where the file must be saved without any name modification.
1. When the file is opened, the interactive process of curve computation will begin automatically if the VBA macro settings in Excel are enabled. Follow the instructions indicated in the user forms.
2. When the file is first opened, you must acknowledge the Vishay disclaimer in order to have access to the program.
3. You can type in a valid Vishay NTC part number or copy/paste the part number from another application. The different part numbers included in this application begin with the three characters NTC (like NTCLE100E3103JB0), with the four characters NTHS (like NTHS0805N01N1002J), or with a sequence consisting of a two-digit number followed by a letter (like 01M). Old 12-digit part numbers from the BCcomponents era (like 2381 640 55103) are also accepted.
4. Indicate a directory where the generated R-T files will be saved. This location can be changed when the file is re-opened.
5. You are now ready to compute R-T curves. The program records all the files that are generated and saves their names and location in a list available in the program.
6. If you enter an incorrect part number, the program will allow you to start the operation again, or you will be given the option to request that the curve be emailed to you from Vishay. Just follow the on-screen prompts.
Please click the following link to download the calculator "My Vishay NTC curve" (3 MB in ZIP format)
The "My Vishay NTC Curve" program may be used to determine certain capabilities of Vishay NTC thermistors. Utilizing data provided by the user, the programs can generate standard R/T tables for such thermistors. Please consult your local Vishay representative with any questions. The "My Vishay NTC Curve" program is provided solely on an "AS IS" and "AS AVAILABLE" basis for the convenience of Vishay customers, and without any warranties or representations of any kind, express or implied, all of which are hereby expressly disclaimed. Any information, computations, or results generated by the programs, or otherwise available from or through the programs, is provided and utilized at your own discretion and risk. Vishay does not assume any responsibility or liability resulting from your use of the programs or any such information, computations, or results, and shall have none. You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the object code portions of this software
The foregoing is in addition to, and not in limitations of, the disclaimer below.
ALL PRODUCT, PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS AND DATA ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE TO IMPROVE RELIABILITY, FUNCTION OR DESIGN OR OTHERWISE.
Vishay Intertechnology, Inc., its affiliates, agents, and employees, and all persons acting on its or their behalf (collectively, "Vishay"), disclaim any and all liability for any errors, inaccuracies or incompleteness contained in any datasheet or in any other disclosure relating to any product.
Vishay makes no warranty, representation or guarantee regarding the suitability of the products for any particular purpose or the continuing production of any product. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Vishay disclaims (i) any and all liability arising out of the application or use of any product, (ii) any and all liability, including without limitation special, consequential or incidental damages, and (iii) any and all implied warranties, including warranties of fitness for particular purpose, non-infringement and merchantability.
Statements regarding the suitability of products for certain types of applications are based on Vishay's knowledge of typical requirements that are often placed on Vishay products in generic applications. Such statements are not binding statements about the suitability of products for a particular application. It is the customer's responsibility to validate that a particular product with the properties described in the product specification is suitable for use in a particular application. Parameters provided in datasheets and/or specifications may vary in different applications and performance may vary over time. All operating parameters, including typical parameters, must be validated for each customer application by the customer's technical experts. Product specifications do not expand or otherwise modify Vishay's terms and conditions of purchase, including but not limited to the warranty expressed therein.
Except as expressly indicated in writing, Vishay products are not designed for use in medical, life-saving, or life-sustaining applications or for any other application in which the failure of the Vishay product could result in personal injury or death. Customers using or selling Vishay products not expressly indicated for use in such applications do so at their own risk and agree to fully indemnify and hold Vishay and its distributors harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, expenses and damages arising or resulting in connection with such use or sale, including attorneys fees, even if such claim alleges that Vishay or its distributor was negligent regarding the design or manufacture of the part. Please contact authorized Vishay personnel to obtain written terms and conditions regarding products designed for such applications.
No license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any intellectual property rights is granted by this document or by any conduct of Vishay. Product names and markings noted herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.